Thursday, April 22, 2010

Another Stupid Question

A very interesting thought about jai alai posted on TIGER`S JAI ALAI CHALK TALK, worth to read it.

Another stupid question

Posted on April 21, 2010 at 10:04:54 PM by jsolo

The stupidest question of them all. But I need to ask it. As I watch this unbelievably beautiful game, a "stick and ball" sport with absolutely no dead time (except the gambling time between games), breathtakingly fast, graceful, artistic, and athletic, all I am seeing is the myriad sets of numbers flashing on the screen between matches, the lonely feeling of a gem being appreciated by no one, a game dying before my eyes.

Gambling, from what I have read, has been the paradigm of this game for many decades. But I ask myself, is this paradigm helping this game? Are there alternatives? Tournaments? Splitting these players into teams representing cities, maybe just in Florida to start, and have a league, playing super scoring or partidos?

Someone with bucks to come into this game, promote the heck out of it AS A SPORT, rather than a gambling sideshow (the gambling, of course, would just go underground, as it does in all other sports, but it wouldn't be the focus, the be all and end all) and give it exposure?

Which might lead to grass roots interest? Ridiculous, all, I suppose, but I would argue, even after watching for as short a time as I have, that gambling is not helping this sport. It hasn't been able to compete with other gambling alternatives for years.

I have no answers. It's just very hard watching something that I have fallen head over heels in love with die a very slow death. I can still hear the heartbeat, against the wall. Anyway, that's the way a naive newby sees it.

No comments:

Post a Comment