Sunday, March 7, 2010

Beitia: An Honest Man (R.I.P.)

March, seventh.
This morning I had an e-mail in  my cellular phone. "Beitia has passed away". Suddenly the figure of a tall serious man invades my mind, images of years ago when I got for first time to Tampa, Florida, that was the year of 1973. That's the time when I met a man, my first players manager, a man that as I would find out later on, was an honest person.

  To be a good players manager must be a difficult job especially when you have to supervise a bunch of wild young boys as we were at that time. Beitia knew how to handle the situation. He and Arregi, the assistant players manager, formed a tandem that worked really fine even in difficult situations.

  There's a general belief among all people that played in Tampa in those years that made that fronton the most appealing place  to play in. There was an atmosphere of fierce rivalry on the cancha, but off the court, we got along real well. Beitia and Arregi contributed for this kind of equilibrium.

  Beitia had the ability to be close to the player when needed, and, at the same time, he maintained a sufficient distance.

  I have the feeling that when today people find out about  Beitia's death, a unanimous feeling will be felt. The sensation of working under the supervision of an honest man. There can not be a better homage.

No comments:

Post a Comment