Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Exclusive Interview With "Amazing" Danny

A Conversation with Danny Erdocio
January 17, 2010
Where and when were you born
I was born in St Jean de Luz, on October 31, 1958
Are you married
Yes, my wife’s name is Denise and we have three children; two boys and one girl.
Where do you live now
I live with my family in Port St. Lucie, Florida and we run a family cleaning business servicing companies from South Florida to Orlando

What is your height and weight
I am 5’5” tall and weigh 135 lbs
How did you get started in Jai Alai and how old were you
I started when I was 10 years old at the jai alai school in St Jean de Luz, it was 1969.
However, jai alai was not my first sport. I played rugby before jai alai – I did not even know what jai alai was. I was pretty good at rugby but broke my arm. I was actually good because I knew how to position myself on the field. In the 70’s you did not need to have a large physique to play rugby, like now. After my injury, my father asked me to go to the jai alai school to look around, I did and I became interested.

Did you play Plaza Libre
[Plaza Libre is a Jai Alai modality played on an outdoor court with only one front wall -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_pelota]
Not a lot because I did not have the strength and the St Jean de Luz school did not offer much Plaza Libre. I played a lot of Rebote [one of several Basque pelota modalities] and I loved it. As a 15 year old, I played in Villabona with a packed house. Rebote helped me a lot with my right side.

When and where did you make your professional debut
I turned professional in Ft. Pierce, Florida, March 1976. In France, I only played as an amateur partnering with Acin. We played well together and placed second in one of the jai alai tournaments in Mexico. My first contract was only for one season in Ft Pierce. Berenson and Callahan came to France to scout for talent and gave contracts to a few of us. As soon as we got to Miami, I was handed a piece of paper to sign. I did not know what it said because I did not speak English but I had to sign it. It was another contract reducing my pay from the original $1,050 monthly to $650. Acin got his contract reduced from $1,050 to $850.

Tell us about your early experiences as a professional Pelotari in the US
I realized I did not play very well [in Danny’s own words “ni pa tras”]. There was a lot of competition. I was sheltered in France and did not know that there was so much Pelota talent in Spain. In the beginning, I had a very tough time adjusting. I did not speak English or Spanish. I think I only won 36 quinielas in four months. The Players Manager used to call me into his office to yell at me telling me I had to throw harder [“dale, dale, dale…..”]. I would get very upset with the constant badgering. I knew physically I did not have the power to throw as hard as he wanted me to and I knew it was about more than just strength but I had not yet developed those other skills. That came later on.
What were your goals and objectives in those early years
In France, a player’s dream was to play in Miami so my main objective was to get there. But every year, I would land in the US and while others headed for Miami, I was sent to Ft Pierce. While I was just as capable as some of those players that went to Miami, I remained in Ft Pierce. I believe there was a certain prejudice because I was not big and strong as Alfredo, the Players Manager preferred.

And that made you fight harder. So what was the turning point in your career
I always fought hard; you know me. However, the real leap came with Berenson in 1981. My game gradually improved and, when Berenson bought Harford, he offered me a 3-year contract doubling my salary to $2,100 per month. I went to Hartford with the intent of taking no prisoners on the court. For me, it was a new beginning and salvation from my experience with Alfredo, where there was bad chemistry in the Player/Manager relationship. This opportunity gave me a lot of motivation to play well and win games. I started working out at the gym. Urquiaga was a great motivator for me, urging me to get stronger. I knew my physique limited my ability to play in the later games but I knew I could play really well.

Was this the best moment in your career
No, the best moment in my career was during the two or three years preceding the strike.

And the worst moments
My first year in Ft Pierce, I did not speak English so I could not communicate with anyone. It is a different world. You do not know where you are on the court because you cannot communicate. I had not played quinielas ever before. But in two months, I learned how to speak a bit of Spanish and everyone was very good to me.

What did you do when Hartford closed. Did you get a contract right away
No. I did not play for two years even though I was available to play in Miami, Tampa, etc. No one would sign me. In 1997, Ricky Lasa called and asked me if I wanted to play in Miami or Tampa. Since I lived in Pembroke Pines at the time, I chose Miami. The first two months were rough but little by little, I improved. I continued to play there until 2007. Then I played Ft. Pierce in the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

How would you define yourself as a Player
I do not define myself. That is something I leave to others who have seen me play.

I understand but what would you say were your strengths and weaknesses.
Good technique has allowed me to play in Miami to 49 years of age. Also, knowing how to place myself on the court. I have never been a superstar but I have played very well. With my physique I have achieved more than I ever thought possible. I am very happy and thank God for giving me a lot health. I was never injured except for a few days totaling maybe a couple of weeks in so many years.

I think that genes may have also played a role but your long, smooth swings were always like those of a much taller player. Very long and fluid. In the singles, you would catch the ball with your right arm, in the 10th line, and you would extend the ball to the back wall. Also, with the reves you did not have to hit the ball high on the frontis to reach the chula. Again, the trajectory of your long swing made this possible. What other features were advantageous for you.
I have been told that my muscles are long for a person of average height. Placement on the court, knowing how to finish the point, the technique as you call it are very important, in addition to taking care of yourself by living a moderate lifestyle.



Any weaknesses
My weak point was possibly my left hand rebote, even though I improved it tremendously in the last few years in Miami. Given that I was losing a lot of my strength, I had to compensate in other ways.
Earlier in my career, when I got to the States I did not know what costado was. But I learned by observing you and Joey.

Was there anyone you preferred as a partner
I have always liked Urquiaga as a partner; he would communicate well with me and would cheer me on. I liked playing with him a lot.

When you were younger, was there a player you looked up to – who did you like.
When I was in France, I liked Chino Bengoa; even though he was short, he was a superstar. In the US, I learned a lot from you. You did not have a lot of power but you did everything well with few mistakes. I learned from Mendi as well. Players who did not have a lot of power but were very talented.
Which was the best roster you played in
Hartford was the best, before the strike.

Which was the best court you played in
Miami was the court I liked best. Easy to play in, not very long, did not have any flaws so the balls were true. The worst for me was Ft. Pierce, too big.

Who was your best Players Manager and why
Arra was the best for me because he treated me fairly, just as he treated everyone else.

Not including players who have made a name for themselves, do you see any young players with potential for becoming superstars.
I do not know what to tell you. In Miami, I do not see anyone because they are mostly mature players and there is no longer the love of the game that we have seen in the past. The caliber of play is lower. Some young players do not have the work ethic and there are only two frontons. There is no real competition. Jai Alai is going through bad times. For example, there are players that are asked to substitute in the later games and, instead of taking the opportunity to play hard and show what they are made of, they get mad. You are getting paid to perform and you have to give it your all but it is no longer that way, generally.

How has Jai Alai changed from the seventies and eighties to this decade.
The balls are livelier in Miami; the style of play has also changed. There is no variety like before when players would set up the point and there was strategy within a quiniela. Now it is all about overpowering the opponent. The balls have an enormous impact on the game. It has become a very physical game with less strategy.

You have played through four decades. Did you ever think you would play so many years.
Not at all. Impossible. It was one year after another because I was feeling well. I kept on signing contracts because I did not have injuries. In the end, I was not fired. I am going to retire on my own. The world of jai alai is sad. I am walking into the sunset with no recognition even though I have had the longest professional career in modern Jai-Alai history. Jai-Alai has no Hall of Fame. If there was ever one, it should be in Euzkadi. It is sad

If you could go back in time, would you do anything differently.
Only one thing and that is to postpone my debut from 1976 to 1978 to wait for the amateur world championship where I would have played with Acin – we could have won. With a title like that and two additional years of experience under our belt, things would have been different. I would not change anything else. I am proud of my achievements, I am not a superstar but I have done a lot with the physical traits that the Lord gave me. In my 33 years of professional experience, I have been very hard with myself, very demanding.

What advice would you give a young player coming to the US to play for the first time.
If you become complacent, you are doomed. If there were good days, I always planned to be even better the next day. True love of the sport is to never be satisfied. I always aspired to play the middle games, and then the later games, never to stay in the same place. At least to always strive to be better. Young players have to be strong willed. If they truly love the sport, they will not succumb to the bad habits of some of those around them who might have become lazy or complacent. The mind is stronger than the body and they have to have iron will.

I enjoyed this journey back in time with my friend, Danny. A smart player who may lack physical traits valued by some but has overwhelming staying power, as evidenced by his long career. Even more remarkable than his long tenure in Jai Alai is the fact that he was injured no more than two weeks in all those years; an amazing feat in itself. As Ignacio “Charli” Urizar recently stated in Fronton’s forum Danny was one of the smartest guys in a cancha……..Good serve, great catching in the left wall and very smart killing the point in the front. A complete game for a small size player with a big heart for the game”. As Artano and Urquiaga have said, pound for pound, Danny is the best Pelotari. Arra does not try to answer the question of how he managed to play for so many years in an ever-changing game and just concludes that Danny should be sent to NASA for scientific analysis. His principles and humanity, his love of the sport, his work ethic and contributions to every roster he was ever a part of make Danny a true ambassador of the game Those of us privileged to have been his colleagues, feel honored to know him and to have witnessed his professional quest for self-improvement and excellence.


If you have also been part of Danny’s journey as a colleague, fan, or friend, we invite you to share your thoughts with Danny and our readers.
Thank you / Eskerrik Asko!


3 comments:

  1. I've been a fan of "The Amazing Danny" since he arrived in Miami,from Ct.Retired now from jai-alai,he is always available for interviews or any other way he can help the sport he loves.

    High Cesta to Danny
    Bill,JaiAlaiUSA.Net

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an honor playing with you,Danny

    ReplyDelete