Friday, October 23, 2009

Interview with Super Lopez


Yesterday, Lopez, the great back-court, was interviewed by BERRIA, the only newspaper in the basque language. Here are some pieces of the interview.

Last year too you won the World Championship; however, this years' was more pleasant to you, may be because player from both companies took part?

No, last years' was more pleasant because it was my first one.

Why did you won the World Championship?

The two more regular teams got to the final. The team that better adjusted each other finally won the partido. We knew what we had to do, and we did it troughout the whole Championship.

What is your opinion about the Championship?

The level has been good. The best players of the moment took par in it; only Bereikua missed it. Both companies tried to balance the pairing. Not all the teams adjusted on the court. You have to work hard for that, to have a name is not enough.

Frontons got big audiences. That's something.

Yes. Above all people enjoyed. In semifinals, against Olha and Irastorza, at Durango, I saw something that I haven't seen before; people standing clapping and cheering. Full house too the night of the final at Markina. People of all kind of ages.

It's jai-alai coming out from hell?

The fact that both two companies are getting together that is good. The summer time tournaments have been good, they got together, and television got involved itself. Last year was much worse. It is good for us the players and the audience.

Television is a must if jai-alai wants to go ahead?

For everything you need tv. Television means money. The easiest way to promote jai-alai. Behind tv the rest of media follows. As a matter of fact, it is a chain. Companies too must do a good job, and us the players have to show the best jai-alai. Schools also have to be promoted. It is a sum of different factors.

As far as jai-alai schools concern, is jai-alai healthy?

In the Basque are doing well, I myself have been working with young players in Tolosa and Hondarribia. I gave clinics for two weeks. We have done it, however, it's convenient to promote younger players.

Is it good the existence of two companies?

Always better than just a single one only. In our case, there was only one in the past, and we were under, so to speak. Now we have more than one choice, and that's great. Conditions are better, good for all. Monopoly is good for the companies, no for the players.

Looking towards the future, are you optimist?

We are doing better and better. The best times wont come back, however, I think that it would be possible to play the whole year in the Basque. I would love it.

Are you sattisfied for the summer time season?

I'm pleased. To win the Individuals that's the only lack, however, if you want to beat Goikoetxea, you have to play perfect, and wait for his bad day. Even so, my goal is the doubles. I feel proud being a back-courter and being able to score 26 points against Goiko.

In Miami you are doing real well?

Yes, I'm doing fine. Last year Goiko won the most wins, singles and doubles. I did second in the first two, and I was the best back-courter. I wanted more and this year I got the most wins title, and the best back-courte in doubles.

How is one regular day for you at Miami?

I get up at nine and go to the beach for a walk. I do some shopping, lunch after that, and at 14:45 I have to saty at the fronton. I leave at 17:30. Get the car and back home. I go to the gimnasium as well. Dinner after that, and get together with friends... Arrasate is my roommate.

No comments:

Post a Comment